Thursday, May 28, 2015

Five Month Update

So there is this thing called a BMI chart. Apparently it's one way you can determine if you're a healthy weight. According to my BMI before surgery I had a BMI of 48, meaning I was severely obese. According to the chart I need to weigh 135lbs to be considered a "healthy weight". However there is more to determining your healthy weight other than just your BMI. Your doctor usually tells you where they think you should be and what other factors to take into consideration. For me weighing 263lbs and having a BMI of 48 I felt unhealthy. I was always tired and suffered from sleep apnea. I had chronic headaches, joint pain, planter fasciitis, heel spurs and prehypertension.

I am officially 5 months post op from my RNY surgery. I have lost 72lbs and I am about 30lbs from my original goal which would be a total loss of 100lbs. However even after 100lbs lost I would be considered to be "overweight". I would need to lose 56 more pounds to be in a "healthy" range and weigh 135lbs. Right now hearing this out loud I am thinking there is no way I will make it to 135lbs. I do not want to put any pressure on myself to be a certain weight. I want to be healthy but I don't know if I want to rely on a BMI chart to tell me what healthy is. As long as I don't have high blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes, joint pain, chronic headaches, foot pain, back pain, and can get pregnant I will be happy. I feel good right now. I haven't had the chronic headaches I used to have. I don't have heel pain or planter fasciitis. I can wear heels again and suffer no foot pain. I haven't used my CPAP machine in about two months. I have more energy and confidence.

I don't want to be one of those people who is fixated on the number they see on the scale. However it is hard to not obsess over the number and compare where I am at to everyone else who is on a similar journey. I sure do love being able to go into stores now and buy clothing off the rack. It's crazy that sometimes the clothes are too big!! I no longer am limited to the "plus size" clothing stores or sections. I no longer have to order from the exclusive "online" only departments. However this is double edged sword because my pocket book is feeling the pain now. I think I may be developing a shopping addiction!

Honestly, I am enjoying the ride. Right now I know I am still in the "honeymoon" phase. I will continue to lose weight, within reason, without much effort on my part. I anticipate that once I lose the first 100lbs I will slow down and possibly reach a stall. After I reach my goal and I am at least 12 months out it will by much harder to lose the weight and keep it off. I am doing my part my changing what I eat and my relationship with food. Finding a balance of what I consume and exercise is essential for long term success.

I am looking forward to this summer and hopefully being able to do some things I have on my "bucket list". It's little things that other people may take for granted but things that I haven't been able to do because of my weight. There are things I was too embarrassed to try, places I was afraid to go, things that were too hard to do at my highest weight. I am looking forward to trying these and many other first along the way.












No comments:

Post a Comment